Friday, February 11, 2011

Thorn in the Flesh, Stones in the Field

~ From Jan. 7, 2011 ~

I just had to share today's devotional from Corrie Ten Boom in Each New Day. I felt like it was just for me today, something I really needed to hear right now. I hope that it speaks to you as well.



It has been said that the removal of small stones which frequently encumber the fields does not always increase the crop. In many soils they are an advantage, attracting the moisture and radiating the heat. In an experiment the results of removing the stones were so unfavorable to the crop that they were brought back again. We often cry to God, as Paul did, for the removal of some thorn in the flesh. Later experience teaches us that it was better for it to remain.


For the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

~ 1 Corinthians 12:10

Your strength, my weakness- here they always meet.

When I lay down my burden at Your feet:

The things that seem to crush will in the end
Be seen as rungs on which I did ascend! Thank you, Lord.

I am very much a believer in divine healing. Our God who made us, and all of creation, is much more than able to alter it all in any way, at any time. But these thorns, even if they are with us for only a short while (because, as I said before, God does deliver) do teach us something. For me, I know that my weaknesses show me what I really am, and who He really is. They have kept me close to Him, and taught me to value and treasure many people and things to an extent that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. What have you learned from your thorn(s)?






God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment