Friday, February 11, 2011

My Cerclage Story

~This is being imported from my other blog. It is dated Dec. 12, 2010~


Yes, I'm Pregnant
Quite a few people already know that I am pregnant, but I'm pretty sure some don't. So, just to clarify, yes I am expecting a baby. I am now in the beginning of my 2nd trimester. The doctor office and I have a few days discrepancy concerning how far along I am, but I am confident with the next ultrasound my version will prevail. :)

Most people wait until the first trimester is over to make an announcement, so my waiting to tell is really not so odd. But, the main reason I didn't want too many people to know is because years ago I was diagnosed with an incompetent cervix. I have a child in Heaven, who was born at about 17 weeks. My daughter, Jasmine, was born full term (Thanks to God). I received a cerclage when I was pregnant with her at around 18 weeks. I didn't have much cervix left when I got the cerclage, and I was on bed rest most of the pregnancy. She is truly a miracle to me.

This time around I received a cerclage at around 12 1/2 weeks. I do think that my cervix was weaker to begin with this time around, maybe due to previous pregnancies and maybe hormones- maybe because I'm older now- who knows. The doctor did give me 2 cerclages, and he told me after he put them in that I had a really good cerclage. So, I am hopeful that all will go well. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday for my post operative appointment. I have a lot of questions for him. I want them to monitor the cerclage closely, but I have a feeling they don't really do that. So, that concerns me. I will also find what type of physical restrictions I have at this time. I am sure I won't be doing a whole lot during the second trimester, regardless.

The Cerclage Story
Well, getting a cerclage is not that bad in and of itself. It is basically a procedure where the cervix is tied shut until around 36 weeks. From my understanding it is considered minor surgery. What was pretty devastating to me last week was the spinal anesthesia. I actually had it done twice because  the first one didn't completely numb me right away. The needles in my back were extremely painful, and I was more numb than I had ever been in my life after the surgery. It took me 5 hours to be able to walk again, and I didn't get all feeling back until that evening. Afterward, the anesthesiologist said that she thought it just took the meds a little longer to work on me, but they gave me a double whammy. So, I spent at least an hour in recovery waiting for the numbness to recede closer to my waist before they would let me go back to my 'room'. My blood pressure reading went way down while I was in recovery too, and I honestly thought I was going to die for a while there. I did a lot of praying during that time, and I thought of Jasmine. I really do think that she is my strongest tie to this earth.

So............
Prayers are greatly appreciated. I believe in the power of prayer. I know it makes a huge difference. I have been over and over this whole situation in my mind so many times and I think I have a sense of peace with it all.

I really do think that the cerclage will hold. I think everything will be O.K. I trust God no matter what. I know that I am only a human, and I can not foretell the future no matter how hard I try. Nor can I take responsibility for things beyond my control. I am not a patient person, and I loathe uncertainty. So, the conclusion I have come to is this- I will be alright regardless of what happens. I will do everything humanly possible to keep this baby safe, but that is all I can do. God makes the ultimate decisions, not me.

God allowed me to embark on my current journey of motherhood 12 years ago, and it thus far been the best gift in my life, second only to the gift of salvation. I have been allowed to see life as I had never seen it before. And that is truly enough for me.

Anything else from this point on is a bonus................

No comments:

Post a Comment